30 Nov 2014

Singapore and the Christmas lights at last 28 29 November 2014

The man was there to take me to my hotel,  it seemed a very long drive, but at long last time to check in, there seemed so much more paperwork here than elsewhere and to operate the lift you needed to use your room key to activate it. The room itself was spacious but no bath or view this time. I was tired when I arrived to unpacked and had a rest for a while.  It seems there is a shuttle bus to Orchard Road where I was hoping the main Christmas lights would be as well as the MRT station.


I decided to take the shuttle to the city, again it was a long drive, but then I saw the lights they really were impressive, it was here we were dropped off and the bad news was there was not another shuttle back later, so I would have to sort out an alternative,  but now I started taking video of the lights as I walked down the road, unfortunately after a while I realised that it was just the same lights for a long way and then they stopped.  So I turned round and started back, I was feeling hungry as it had been some time since I last ate so  crossed the road where there seemed more shops, given the time many were already closed so in the end back to old faithful I found a McDonald's which filled the gap, then wandered back to where I started looking for the MRT to get me back to the hotel, eventually I found it in the middle of a shopping precinct 2 floors down,  its seems this is where many are located,  I managed with help to obtain a ticket and get on the right train, when I got off though  I was totally lost, but eventually worked out my way back to the hotel. I had remembered that I had breakfast and free Wi Fi Included so checked this with the staff, then off to have a shower as it had been very hot and sticky with the heat and humidity on my trip, then a catch up with my e mail and Skype to Jane for a while and off to bed.

The next morning wad the first time I struggled to get up during the holiday, I think my body was trying to tell me something, got ready had a breakfast then off to see Sentosa  and the cable car ride across the river. I was impressed with myself at yet again obtaining a ticket and finding my way, the trains are mainly very busy snf fast and the air con is almost freezing cold,no wonder people wear thicker clothes, but I could not believe all the stops and that it took an hour. Yet another shopping precinct to get lost before finally getting to the exit, but bad news it was a terrible downpour, I went and got something to eat, getting lost yet again on my way back

I found my way to the cable car paid my money and got one to myself,  firstly I went to Mount    had a look round the views were obscured by trees then off to Sentosa this time sharing with some young people. I took a number of photos at this time hopefully you will see some after I get back home. My intention was just to turn round and comme back but I noticed a couple of things that felt would be interesting, in the end I found lots of fountains statues and other  things to take the photos of. The one thing that had benn consistent throughout the holiday is the number of people taking selfies or of each other and missing the bigger often more beautiful setting they are in, it seems such a shame plus there seems no common courtesy in waitng for one person  to finish before stepping in front and blocking the view for themselves,  rant over.
Then back down through the shopping precinct snd luckily to find there is another line that only took 15 minutes to get back. I returned to the hotel to rest for a few  hours and catch up yet again with e mails etc before deciding to go to the local precinct for something to eat. Afterwards I walked back and noticed and heard music playing next to the hotel,so I went to see there was a nice  seating area and a group was playing country  and western music whilst some people line danced.  I watched for a little while then noticed a dome I had not spotted earlier,  it seems it was a museum, but then I came acrosd the local buddist temple I went to have a look and was offerred a drink and food, I explained that I had just eaten but accepted the drink,  I then got chatting to a man there, the inside was very beautiful,  after a while I left and returned to the hotel for the night.

1 comment:

s said...

Jeff glad you are O k and still enjoying your time. I don't think I could cope with such an exacting schedule. Talk about being a frequent flyer, you will be an expert on Planes , where to sit etc.
keep enjoying, and keep safe
Graham