17 Nov 2014

Port Douglas Australia 16 November 2014

Sadly it was only a brief trip to Auckland so needed to be up at 3am local time to do last minute packing and tidying up, right on time Heather was there to pick me up, its such a shame I did not have more tome in the beautiful relaxing setting that Robert has created at Maison De Rose, hopefully I will return in the not to distant future.

At the airport I was quickly processed but unfortunately the lounge was not open so I had no chance to eat before boarding the flight, I do wish they could find a better way of calling for me over the public address as sometimes I go and its not me and other times they have callled a couple of times, maybe they could issue vibrators or flashing units as used in some restaurants possibly something to explore on my return.

For a change a pleasant young man was sat next to me, in fact he offered to share his I pad to follow the flight, also he reminded me  that the time had changed again and it was 2 hours earlier than when I set off.  We talked about a range of topics, he explained he had been born in Vietnam but now was an Australian citizen, I mentioned issues with flight changes including the one today. He told me that there was the G20 summit there and lots of protests, shows how out of touch we can quickly become. Also mentioned Virgins change to my flight with no thought to the effect on people such ad myself who are not in a position to change plans that easily, he said it was a regular occurance.

At Brisbane the staff were very good getting me from the terminal, also in helping me with my case, I do not understand why they did this as usually when transfering flights my luggage once processed seems to just find its way to my destination. I then had to use a free bus to transfer to the other terminal and someone would meet me there,  unfortunately something went wrong so I had to to to the helpdesk, but then was ok. On this and the previous flight they were very good with bringing soft drinks round to prevent dehydration, shame united airlines did not do this.

I forgot to say the temperature and humidity had greatly increased by this time.  At the airport again staff were very helpful getting me to my baggage,  then I was to be met by a shuttle service, well what a miserable greeting and then having to hang about, the vehicle was a toyota that usually have good suspension, unfortunately not this one, so I was relieved when I finally got to the Port Douglas Retreat, I was quickly processed and into my room which was very pleasant,  only thing was I realised I needed the safe key and a pool towel and the owners had gone out for the afternoon it being Sunday.

Never mind, I quickly unpacked the setting was beautiful and the air con worked,  next a trip into town, well I say town but not really that large a place, plenty of places to eat buy souvenirs etc and fortunately for me a decent supermarket as there was no food available at the apartment,  so stocked up with things I felt I needed, then had a wander down to the bay, the view was beautiful and peaceful, its interesting but all the bars and cafes had music playing some louder than others but at least not at the volume I put up with in Vegas.
It was a pleasant change and just the peace quiet and tranquility my body needed before the next leg. I haf nought a couple of pizza's so had one gor my evening meal finished off with fruit and apple juice, I had an early night, tomorrow I will decide what if any excursions to go on, I would like to visit the reef and see the marine life, but we will see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff, Glad you ok and now in Port Douglas.
sounds very idyllic and peaceful
all ok this side of the ocean. Oldham was an eye opener. had to stand up on both trams coming back to Bury. kids just sat there. second comment posted. using Laptop and Opera. cant use phoness. continue to have fun. off to M\cr Science museum Friday with Brian.
Cheers for now. give Chico a peanut for me lol. Andy.

s said...

Hi Jeff, great blog, very interesting, bet you are getting tired. Like you I find that there is never enough time to even see the things you want to , and it all seems like a rush.
Enjoy the rest of the trip.
Graham