29 Nov 2014

Penang An Apology to my readers 24 to 27 November 2014

Dear readers I must apologise that it is now sunday the 30th of November and I am trying to catch up with the blog at long last, but I did so much with Paul in the time we had and have also been so busy that I have got very far behind with all of my adventures.  Paul had kindly sent me an e mail with lots of information about where we went and what we ate, all I have to do now is to sort that out when brain is working better and include in this, that will teach me not to get behind so much, but unfortunately at times its nicer to enjoy all the experiences than lie here typing using one finger.  So will see what I can do but otherwise will update when I return to UK more fully at that time I will also finally insert the photos that will I hope add to your reading of my trip.


But for now some notes as I remember not necessarily in sequence, Paul was very good in terms of helping me experience local food and to go to places where the less wealthy of Penang would eat and drink, often our quite delicious meals would cost a pound equivalent in our money, but I must admit there was still the odd fast food place along the way. I do realise that some of you readers will be impressed at this change,  plus now I am thinking of becoming a little more adventurous when I return home, but we will see. The places we went often were food halls in markets with lots of individual tiny stalls selling a whole variety of foods,  but very busy. As a contrast we also visited some of the very expensive shopping centres,  Paul explained that new ones were constantly being opened up but that then the older ones deteriorated through lack of loyalty on the shoppers part, but they all seemed to have these inexpensive food courts to eat at.


During my time in Penang sadly I never managed to meet up with Audrey as she was still unwell neither did I meet their 3 sons, but maybe another time if I am able to return which I  hope to do, we will finally catch up. I am pleased for Paul that he had settled so well in Penang and enjoys the life and culture, I dont blame him for wanting to spend the rest of his life here with his family he seems to of truly integrated into the culture and  found something to do with contentment in his life.

Personally I found the traffic difficult to cope with, I thought it was bad elsewhere but here every trip out it seemed people took their life in their hands,  I forgot to ask about how good the local bus and transport system was for people as we never experienced it. The weather generally was very hot and humid,  with occasional rain which was unbelievable in how heavy it was when it happened. There was an amazing mixture of cultures and religions coexisting here, but also between the rich and the poor with very expensive high rise condominiums and in the country small wooden houses where the local fishermen lived. The countryside generally was a lush green that Paul tells me is down to the mixture of hot dry and wet weather.


We talked about the effects of the tsunami it seems there, it did not have as much of an impact as in Thailand, it appeared to me that the rapid expansion of the city was taking a greater toll and at one area we looked at the former beach was now a dirty looking area of silt washed up each day by the tide, so much for progress.  As a total contrast we had looked at the main Buddest temple( will include more detail from Paul) it was a beautiful building in a fantastic setting but spoilt a little by the building work and the tourists such as us.

I totally enjoyed my trip here and do think much was down to Paul and his thoughtfulness and kindness and comprehensive knowledge of the area and culture as well as his kindness in coping when I was tired or needed a frequent visit to the restrooms on our trip LOL, so Paul thanks so much for everything, I do really hope that in the not to distant future to return here and maybe next time if Audrey is well enough we can all meet again.

As I have said readers I am sorry this is a condensed version of a  very busy enjoyable trip to Penang but selfishly I felt the need to enjoy my time here exploring but also catching up with Paul, so I will see if at some point I can expand it all for you. One of the odd things on this trip is I have lost all knowledge of what day or date it is due to all the changes, also I hoped to get lots of vitamin C and was worried that I would get burnt in the sun, my body generally is exactly as when I left home as I have had no time to relax on the beach even here in this beautiful setting, maybe next time.


Well finally it was time to leave, so I was up early which was as well as so was Paul, we set off for the airport which again was busy with traffic but we had lots of time, on arrival I checked in then we had some breakfast before I set off through security, the airport was tiny compared to many that by now I had visited,  I said my goodbyes to Paul and then on to the next flight, it was late boarding but ok, we were served a drink and sandwich, the onky oroblrm was the idiot in front who seemed to need to head bang the seat and keep reclining his seat which reduced my already restricted legroom, but it was a short flight and soon we arrived at Singapore.

No comments: