10 Nov 2006

Moans of a Grumpy, Nearly Old Man ( Tog )

10 November 2006

Well what a period it seems to of been, finally today my aerial has been fixed so when I finally get my replacement DVD recorder, I shall be able to spend my evenings on these dark nights watching all my favourite rubbish & repeats on Freeview TV.

Recently I have been trying to use public transport both to save money, but also to do my bit to help save the environment.

Unfortunately what an experience using the bus and tram is. For instance why should the 98 bus which should be a regular service, go missing then 2 come together.
Twice this week it has stopped at a bus stop for 5 minutes twice on its way, before reaching Bury Interchange, making me miss the tram, resulting in me being late for work.

Talking of the bus why do they all brake so suddenly when coming to a stop, so that people like me with poor mobility are unbalanced, but then instead of complaining actually thank the driver as we leave.

This seems to be the norm with all the bus drivers I have come across in the last 6 months, is it possible that they are re trained in special techniques to upset the passengers, as in their other special skill, accelerating from the stop at great speed, ( I am told that the vehicles are automatic which should make it easier to drive), which is all made worse for us sad people with bad backs, because my spine is constantly shifted at great force from crashing against the seat, to being in mid air.

Also why do people not queue any more? and why does nobody get up from their seats for an elderly or disabled person?

On the trams why does one to Altringham seem to leave at 9.29 just before the concessions come in & people have the chance to buy their tickets from the machine at 9.30 and board the tram?


I realise that the trams have a timetable but could they slow down on the stretch between Bury and Radcliff to ease the noise & swaying for us older sad souls. Again, my poor back goes into spasm as it jerks between the air & the seat back. I suppose it keeps a whole range of health professionals in work putting the damage right.

Yesterday yet again there were problems on the trams with delays, I presume partly due to the problems caused by the crazy situation caused by the dispute between bus services in Manchester, with lots of empty buses queuing up on Mosley Street blocking the progress of the trams.


Last night there was obviously a conspiracy because it took from 4.30 to 6pm for me to travel the 12 miles from Manchester to my home, in fact I ended up going the long way round on another bus route, because the 98 had presumably got lost on its way from Manchester, because as my bus left the queue was still waiting at the 98 stop.

When I finally got home there was another note from my elderly neighbour asking could I call to give some advice. Just for a change I decided to wait until the following day to see her and finally relaxed totally exhausted.

17 November 2006

Well what a week I finally have all the stuff damaged by lightening replaced, but sadly non are the same make or model so I now have 5 new instruction books to work through I have connected up in some sort of fashion but still not sure what all the buttons do on any one piece of equipment, what a shame they do not make compatable easy to use equipment, or that my son does not live down the road so that he can sort it out for me.

Next moan is that I went to get new glasses this week & was told minimum was £140, so went to specsavers who have simple pricing (they say) explained wanted same as I had but not expensive, assistant said no problem but could have 2 for the price of one. Cutting long story short ended up with different glasses at £180, after coming out realise only needed 1 pair because existing pair still okay according to optician, well it keeps them in business.

Whilst wandering round the shops despite being 6 foot 2 tall & 15 stone people will insist in walking into me, but never seem to want to apologize, also why do they aim for the small gap between me and the wall, this has happenned 3 times today, what has happened to good old manners.

To cheer me up I am going to see Ken Dodd hopefully with my mate Andy tomorrow, so if I can remember I will try give a couple of the experiances I have to cheer you all up in the next episode.

I am trying to find some decent english blogs but have been suprised how hard they are to find although I have now found a real British site but it seems to have some very strange stuff on, in that which I have read so far.

No comments: