23 Jun 2013

Another busy day in Copenhagen, summer solstice

As usual we started with a good breakfast, then off to get the bus, unfortunately we could not work out where to get off so decided to use the metro, yet again we could not work out which sort of ticket but a lady kindly helped us.
We were hoping we would see lots to photograph on the trip to they centre,  sadly most was underground,  we got to the center then, took the escalator up into a store,  oops,  we quickly found our way out and set off looking for the Little Mermaid

and any other places of interest along the way along the way. for example we saw the royal theatre

Unfortunately  I did not record all the places we saw along the way, so may need Brians help later to edit,
I think it was the royal palace where we saw the guards outside and there were all sorts of statues, again I will have to put photos on when return home, trying to remember it all at 12 at night is a bit of a struggle made worse by my senior moments, there were lots of coaches full of tourists, along the way l needed to go to the toilet (see other blog) plus a cruise ship in the harbour, whilst there, it started to rain which quickly meant the people disappeared,  it only lasted a while, we made our way back to the centre and stopped for something to eat and drink as my back had set off again and I needed a painkiller, I settled for a pizza,  after this we made our way to the Town Hall where there were all sorts of activities taking place,
we passed a Latin American style band on the way, Brian bought us an ice cream each,

We went to Central Station for a look round and to catch the metro back unfortunately it doesent run from there, I have never seen so many cycles in one place at a time
I used the toilets there (see other blog) Brian had noticed there was something showing up in his viewfinder on the camera we could not remove it but managed to get it lower down on the screen hopefully it will not spoil his photos, then we went looking for the bus back as it was nearer than the metro,  we found the tourist office but it was closed,  which seemed odd in such a busy tourist resort, we found the bus stop but then were told it was the wrong direction, the driver sent us to the wrong street, but Brian  sorted us out plus we found the statue of Hans Christian Andersen and we were on our way back to the hotel, its a shame that it is surrounded by roadworks at present so is not at its best.

When we got off Brian said lets go down to the promenade as it was the Summer Solstice and lots of peple would be going there, I was amazed at how many people were walking and cycling there, couples family's and groups of friends,  both young and old, we wandered along, many had brought a picnic, particularly young couples,  one I noticed had rye bread, sausages and strawberries,  an interesting combination of food, we took a series of photos, then noticed that the sun was setting in the opposite direction,  just then there was a brief shower,  which quickly abated but many had already started to leave,

I forgot to mention earlier that Brian had kindly offered to carry my backpack to help me cope, normally I would not of taken him up on his offer but realised that it would help me to continue longer so many thanks Brian,  just after this we saw a beautiful rainbow in the sky so again out with the cameras.
I needed my painkillers that I have to take with food so back to our Chinese for a meal, what an odd combination I had of omelette chips with a mushroom sauce, whilst waiting I noticed the sun had changed to beautiful reds, so off for a few more photos, we then came back after the meal for an early night, ready for another busy day tomorrow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, some great photos. i like the one in Copenhagen of the little J C B, brilliant!!
Graham

jeff said...

Graham you are supposed to be admiring the statue not looking for new toys LOL, will send you copies of the photos in not to distant future