20 Jul 2014

Final thoughts now I am home

Its now a few days since I finally got home, the washing is all done, clothes put away, photos and video downloaded and at least the photos are sorted and listed, still need to work out how to sort out video, I have already found some of my deliberate mistakes with the times I forgot to switch off camera whilst travelling.
At the time I felt I had coped quite well with it all and particular the trip home which was getting on for 24 hours in total, but not sure now whether it is the heat and humidity here at present or at long last my body has had enough.
I am trying to catch up with programes I recorded whilst away, bad sign of my life when I think I did not miss TV whilst away.
People have said would I go again, well maybe not to the same place, as it would be trying to recreate what has gone and it will never be the same as those first viewings of the animals in their native situations and environment, it would be a mixture of different staff and other travellers. I would pack differently whatever time of the year it was, I would also pay extra for the better seats on the plane.
Some thoughts about the trip, I enjoyed meeting some of the people particularily Frank and Dot, who truly welcomed me and made the whole experience pleasanter, as well as Andy and Terrie, Andy if you ever read this you were the highlight of my trip, always willing to have a go at new experiances and what a spotter you were, as well as a great travelling companion, almost as good as Given, along the way there were others who I enjoyed the conversation with, Eve, thanks for the relationship advice I received from you, sadly not everyone was as kind pleasant or willing to chat in the way some were, but each to their own holiday I suppose.
Visiting the other lodgers gave a better idea of what sort of place I would like to visit in the future, something similar I feel. The animals, well I do feel for them having to put up with mus humans, they showed incredible patience at times whilst we were photographing them, wonder how we would feel if someone photographing me whilst I was eating our food or becoming friendly with our partner.
I have e mailed the foundation to see if there is anything that can be done that is more constructive to help the local children, when I get a response I intend to contact Saga for their comments, it was quite worrying about what the local landowner was putting the people through, a reminder that not everyone has a decent like, at times I was embarrassed at how much we had to spend and the waste of food, I do hope whatever we left went to people locally rather than in the bin. I must whilst I think thank Saffy for her advice and Maris for her encouragement, as well as Vicki for her support, and all of you who have taken the time to read my blogs, even more those of you who have taken the time to comment

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Jeff, glad you had a good time . I think you did very well. Too many early mornings for me though. Some good pictures as well
Now its the planning for the Long trip.
Graham

Sharon said...

Have just read your blog on your trip to Lakeside Lodge. I'm also doing this trip with Saga in July 2015 as a single traveller and feel so much more confident after reading this. I have a couple of queries that maybe you can answer for me. Firstly, how much money in Rands do you think would be needed and secondly what travel adaptor plug is needed? Sharon

PS, I'm new to Saga as I'm (only!)51

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, rather than log on I am posting directly, you will get a very good fact sheet from Saga and you can phone their help line, it’s a special round pin plug they use Maplins sell them, take my advice and take some clothing suitable for very cold weather its their winter was-2 a couple of nights, but also suitable for the very warm days, by the way you will be up at5am if you can afford it take a camcorder or camera that uses video and practice in advance, they are very long days, the youngest in our group were in the 50s but a mixture of types, enjoy the trip

Unknown said...

hi, just read of your blog knew that you have been south of africa in July. I'm also doing a same trip in mid-July 2015.
May I know the weather is it very cold in that period? Is it a rainy season and is a good time to do a safari in July?

Thanks
Phyllis