5 Dec 2014

Train travel but not as we know it 3rd December 2014

I started gently today and had a relaxed breakfast quite different by the look of it to some of the other people in the dining room, nobody serms able to smile and they are all looking so intense, what a way to start the day.

I had read about the super fast train here in Shangai so decided to go for a trip on it, I knew I had to go to the airport to then come part way back into the city, I had forgotten what a long journey it was mostly stood up on the train there. On arrival I paid for a single standard ticket I think it was about £7 then down to the platform, the area looked very upmarket but the train itself was very functional,  at least I got a seat, when it set off a panel showed its speed which went up to 300 kpm so the landscape just flew by, it sadly was quickly over I think the track is less than 10 miles at present, so now another conventional crowded train to bring me back to the hotel. I am not sure why but I decided to try another way out of the station, which was a total disaster as it was cold wet and windy and I got totally disorientated,  finally finding the entrance and retracing my steps, then time for something to eat and a rest in my room. Whilst there I was having problems with the internet, so went to reception and spoke to one of the staff, I upgraded my contract and decided I would wait until I got back before trying it out.

Next I went for a trip to the Peples square and the surrounding area, I found it hard to believe that walking just one street back that there was a whole different world with real shops and people and obviously little money. Even worse was the number of scooters and bikes riden on the paths with no thought for us poor pedestrians, the other problem I have constantly had here is 4hat when the lughts change and cars stop the scooters and bikes dont, many have no lights are overloaded and the riders have no helmet therefore no protection in the event of an accident, but it just seems to be accepted by everyone.
I forgot to say earlier that I think we had smog as it wasvery overcaste and my energy and breathing were not as good as usual.i wandered down to the river but seems it was the wrong part as there was no sign of life so back along the way I had been then the train to the hotel and a pleasant meal followed by cake then return to hotel to ease my feet in the bath and watch a film on TV before settling for the night, not long now before I return home.

No comments: