30 Jul 2016

Holy Island and Bamburgh Castle 26 July 2016

I got up early sorted out case, things to take on the trip including cameras food and waterproof coat before going down to breakfast. Meal was help self buffet with good selection of food, plus the toaster was much swifter than many found elsewhere.  Afterwards back to room before an early start. Brian was not very well but still wished to go on the trip.

Over the years I have come across a range of drivers on coaches, this one seemed to say what he needed and no more, although it would of been nice if he haf shared a little knowledge of the area with us,  maybe these days they are chosen for their driving skill rather than knowledge or conversation, so on our trip he explained that the tides would affect our ability to drive nearer to the island or not, luckily tide was out so able to go directly to the village, first for a drink then to walk to the castle admiring the view whilst taking photos,  unfortunately Brian felt not up to all of this so rested part of the way until we caught up with him later.

The castle was very impressive but as our time was limited we were unable to explore inside, also whilst there cloud had hidden the sun so it looked rather brooding. Along the way we came across a couple of boats in a field, not sure how or why they were not in the water, having said that the tide was out so those on the sand were just stuck. We noticed the poles that acted as indicators for drivers as to how high the water maybe when the tide was in to try to avoid cars being stranded or washed away on the causeway. We then walked back to Brian and then the coach before continuing on to Bamburgh Castle for our next stop.

Again it was a very large castle,  access was up a steep slope and given the time we had there not enough to manage to visit inside although others did. Instead Andy and I explored the local vilage whilst Brian rested on a form. Then a trip to a pleasant cafe where I noticed dandelion an burdock on the menu so tried a drink, it took me back to tastes of my youth, then a walk back to the coach and our return to the hotel.

All through the holiday I struggled with sciatic pain down my right leg as well as lower back pain, coping by taking a combination of codeine,  co dyamol and paracetamol, unfortunately they did not irradiate the pain more reduce it to some degree, but they also made me quite tired so the time spent on the coach between destinations I found I slept so was poor company for Andy, oddly my brain always seemed to know when we were close to a destination and awakened me sufficiently to prepare myself for when we got off the coach. 

On return to the hotel I had a lovely relaxing bath before lie down and recover from the exertion and pain. Then a short time watching tv before getting ready for the evening meal. This again was enjoyable with reasonable sized portions and we enjoyed chatting to the other couple sharing our table as we ate. Afterwards we decided to return to our respective rooms and meet up the following morning.  I spent the rest of the evening catching up with my usual tv, before trying out the complimentary hot chocolate in the hope it would help me sleep,  sadly this did not happen,  not because if anything wrong in the room rather me trying to cope with the pain as I tossed and turned in the night

No comments: